Some Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Video Game News!

I had a serious post lined up about Glenn Beck's Washington rally, but then homework happened. I'm at work now, so I figured I'd just post some recent news in the world of video games.

Vanquish demo is out for XBL and PSN. Played it a bit last night, and it's actually even more fun than I'd anticipated. High speed, loads of adrenaline, craziness abounds. Highly recommended.

Kotaku got their hands on the "Playstation Move" and some games prior to it's September 19th release date. Seems that they are rather impressed with it, but I wonder how much of that is genuine "I'm-impressed-ness." Not that I'd suggest Kotaku is being paid off by Sony or anything, but having strongly negative opinions about a system that's going to be here for a while does have consequences. When you're gonna be reviewing games and whatnot for this system for that long, you can't really just say "Move sucks" and then convince everyone your reviews aren't affected by that. Just the same, most Kotaku writers seem to feel that the constant calibration is a concern.


Me, personally, I won't be getting it. I share Yahtzee's sentiment that without tactile feedback most motion control games won't feel natural or intuitive. While there are some genuinely innovative design implementations possible (usually of the painting and brush stroke variety a la "Okami," or possibly paint brush mechanics in Epic Mickey), they don't seem to show up often enough to warrant (in my opinion) the purchase of a motion control system. Course, Move still beats Kinect no matter what. I mean seriously...what exactly is the point? So I can play imaginary full body soccer in my living room? Why not actually go out and play soccer? At what point is technology like this "innovative," and what point is it "a substitute for having no friends?" And yes, this is totally coming from the guy who has no friends whatsoever at college. Feel the judgment.

But I can't give Kotaku all the credit for early reviews. IGN posted a review as well. While I'm not the biggest fan of IGN (A perfect 10 for GTA IV? Seriously?), it's good to have different opinions. They seem to think the motion controls are solid, but the software is pretty weak. Really? Shovelware? In MY Playstation Move? What nonsense is this!?


Also, Tank MMO. As in, an MMO where you play as a tank. Because...why not.

No comments:

Post a Comment